Best Law Firms
American Board of Trial Advocates
2010 Street Fighter of The Year Award Finalists
Irish Legal 100
The Best Lawyers in America
Santa Clara County Bar
Super Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers
California Lawyer
Top One
Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association

What to Do If You Think Your Doctor Has Made a Medical Mistake

Medical Malpractice We think of doctors as extremely smart people who can cure us of most anything. The truth is, doctors are humans just like us - and they can make mistakes. While there are many ways a doctor can make a mistake, it only takes one mistake to permanently harm or accidentally kill a patient.

We put so much of our trust into our doctors and we should be able to trust that they know enough to do the right things - our lives are literally in their hands. It can be devastating to find out that your doctor made a mistake while treating you and you may not know what to do if you suspect that your doctor made a mistake. Here are 4 things that you should do if you think that your doctor may have made a medical error during your treatment:

1. Seek Help From Another Doctor

If you think that your doctor made a medical error, especially if you think your doctor misdiagnosed you, you should get a second opinion. Contact another doctor who specializes in the field in which your symptoms lie and see what the diagnoses from that doctor may be. If you suspect that your doctor made an error in testing or in surgery that resulted in a physical injury, you should seek medical attention right away from a different physician or hospital altogether.

2. Track Your Injuries

Make sure you request your medical records from all hospitals, facilities or testing centers that you visited for your specific issue. It is also not a bad idea to keep a journal to track your injuries, such as any pain you are having after a procedure or surgery.

3. Make a Formal Complaint

You should also consider making a formal complaint against the hospital or physician that made the error. If it was the hospital that made the error, consider contacting the hospital’s accrediting body, such as The Joint Commission or the California Department of Health. If it was a physician that made the error, you will want to contact the Medical Board of California, who controls that physician’s medical license.

4. Hire a Skilled Santa Clara County Medical Malpractice Attorney

If you think that your doctor has made a mistake due to negligence, you may have grounds for a medical malpractice lawsuit. An experienced San Jose, CA medical malpractice lawyer can help you review your case and determine if you should proceed with a lawsuit or not. The attorneys at Corsiglia McMahon & Allard, L.L.P. are compassionate and understand that medical errors can complicate many areas of your life. Call the office today at 408-289-1417 to schedule a free consultation.

Client Reviews
My experience with Attorney Brad Corsiglia during my recent medical malpractice case was nothing short of amazing given the very stressful circumstances. I was fortunate to find Brad highly recommended from a mutual contact and from the very beginning of the process, Brad was truly engaged and knowledgeable in understanding my case and providing input on what avenues were available to me. Michelle M.